Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sunrise over the Straits of Mackinac from the beach in Mackinaw City.

This piece was created from a photography trip in the spring of 2014.  I arose early in the morning and went to the beach to experience the freshness of the morning light, cool breezes and early morning sounds of the boats leaving the harbor.  All the while seagulls flew around on their early morning fishing expedition.  As always my trusty camera was ready and waiting.  I watched the progress of the rising sun, moving clouds and mists and the radiant color changes.  When I later reviewed the photographs I preferred the layers of colors and values that seemed so peaceful.  Even though I was at home in my studio, I felt as though I was right there on the beach painting.

 
I started with thin washes of color which I poured on a horizontal canvas and let it flow serendipitously.   




 Then I turned the canvas upright and layered in the broad bands of color.   


Next painting session I worked on details that held more information about the ground beneath my feet.







Sunrise Over the Straits of Mackinack
18" x 24" acrylic seascape


No comments:

Post a Comment