Tuesday, April 28, 2015

California Dreams

 
The light was different in California.  The colors were jubilant and there were flowers everywhere.  The early morning sun shown through the mist rising from the sea, causing a rainbow of changing colors pale green,  blue and rosy pink.  A touch of sunlight just caught the surf and seemed like a jewel among jewels.  I went out to do some scouting for subjects to take home with me. 
 
The ocean was stretched out as far as the eye could see and the mountains rose behind us up into the moving mist from the Pacific Ocean.  I wanted to capture the light, color, mist and trees that were all around me.  I started laying in the complimentary colors in the correct values.  The beginning was like a romantic vision of what I saw.  The colors were fresh and carried the passion I felt as I painted.  No line - no trees.  Just splashes of local value in unreal colors in an abstract fashion.
 
As the painting developed I started the next phase in reverse laying in the correct colors and values which resulted in a soft muted greying of the complimentary first layers.  I continued this process until I decided to add the solid structure of the trees which I wanted to keep at a minimum.  Just enough for effect to clarify my love for the wild colors and trees and mountains and the ocean behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment