Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Finding the Jewels in Your Artwork



Physical Process:
I started this 11” x 14” acrylic painting as a demonstration for a student who would later take over working on it.  In many of my pieces I start with a thin wash of paint to establish the cool or warm colors in the local areas and then I build values to the desired strengths.  The abstract shapes give the feeling, from a distance, of a finished work of art.

 
  


Mental Process:
The lesson here was on building a painting by starting with a solid foundation to work on.  To do this, I look at a subject in order to determine its strengths and weaknesses, which ensures a good composition.  This helps the viewer to see my vision and feel the visual paths that I want the observer to travel through.  In this piece they are traveling through the woods, over the water, and hopefully seeing the centers of interest as jewels in the work of art.




No comments:

Post a Comment